Electric vehicles related projects are innovative and challenging for engineering graduates. Basically, the projects are electrical engineering projects.
Electrical vehicle projects can be implemented as interdisciplinary as well. The concepts of Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical Engineering would be helpful to do the projects.
If you haven’t gone through the electric vehicle project ideas that we discussed earlier, please read the below posts.
We are again going to list a new list of 50 electric vehicle related projects.
List of Electric Vehicle projects
Today we classify the projects into different categories. Projects would be listed under each category.
The 5 categories of projects are
- Electric vehicle charging station
- Electric vehicle inverter
- DC-DC converter
- Vehicle Control Unit
- Battery Management System
We list the most relevant 10 electric vehicle project ideas under each category.
1. Electric Vehicle charging station
Electric vehicle charging stations supply electricity to charge the battery of the electric vehicles. Public charging stations, private charging stations, and home-based charging stations are the common types of electric car charging stations.
- Prototype of fast charging station for an electric car
- Over current protection for electric car charging stations
- Energy management for Vehicle to Grid integrated electric vehicle
- Automatic billing system for electric vehicle charging
- Peak demand management using electric vehicle
- Solar charging stations for electric vehicle
- Harmonic reduction in electric vehicle charging stations
- Adaptive charging based on load tariff
- Efficient level 2 charging station for home
- Switching loss reduction in level 2 charging stations
2. Electric vehicle inverter
Electric vehicle inverter (converter) converts dc from battery to 3 phase ac to drive the induction motor in an electric vehicle.
- SVPWM inverter and modes of operation for switching loss minimization
- Multi level inverter for electric vehicle
- Bidirectional converter for regenerative braking
- Efficient regenerative braking using ultracapacitor
- Novel topology for electric vehicle inverter
- Thermal loss minimization in an EV inverter
- Regenerative braking with minimum switching loss
- Protection circuit for electric vehicle inverter
- Power factor improvement in inverter and performance analysis in EV model
- Simulation model of inverter strategies for different driving cycles
3. DC-DC Converter
The third group of projects is related to the DC-DC converter in an electric vehicle.
Why do we use a DC-DC converter in an electric vehicle? Light, small motors for viper, window, etc. operate at low voltage (12V, 24V, etc).
DC-DC converter which has an efficiency of more than 95% converts high voltage to low voltage to supply the auxiliaries.
- DC-DC converter with low switching loss
- Intelligent dual operation of DC-DC converter (charger and converter)
- Multilevel DC-DC converter
- Small DC-DC converter for EVs
- Analysis to find best DC-DC converter for an electric vehicle
- Filter for DC-DC converters to charge low voltage EV battery
- Cooling system design for DC-DC converters
- DC-DC converter for solar powered electric vehicles
- DC-DC converter for Vehicle to Vehicle charging
- Switching strategy for minimal power loss in DC-DC converter
4. Vehicle control unit
The vehicle control unit monitors the operation of a vehicle. A variety of research projects can be done on the vehicle control unit.
- Optimal energy utilization of EV using VCU
- A control strategy to minimize energy loss in a passenger car
- Power split strategy using fuzzy control in a hybrid electric vehicle
- Reverse parking assistance system for an electric vehicle
- Charging station locator and battery monitoring for electric vehicles
- Vehicle control system for autonomous driving!!
- Vehicle control system for cruise control
- Thermal management of vehicle
- Driver suggestion system collecting road data
- Anti-lock brake control
5. Battery Management System
The battery is one of the costlier components in an electric vehicle. A battery management system which is a control unit monitors the battery state and helps VCU to make decisions based on battery state. The state of Charge, State of Health, Current, Voltage, etc. are being monitored by BMS.
- State of charge estimation for an electric vehicle battery
- State of health estimation for an EV battery
- Strategies for long life of electric car battery
- Novel technique for cell balancing of electric vehicle
- Protection circuits for electric vehicle battery
- Thermal management to increase battery life
- Advanced and accurate state of charge estimation using filters
- Cell voltage measurement and cell balance in electric vehicle
- Data analysis in BMS using cloud computing
- Ideal power minimization in BMS – develop BMS with low power consumption
We had listed 50 project ideas related to electric vehicle in the post. The list is categorized into 5 sections. Electric vehicle projects are not limited to the above list. You can develop lot more projects related to electric vehicles.
Do you like the post?
Consider sharing the post with your friends!
Don’t forget to follow us for more interesting information about electric vehicles.